Cleaning Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

PartTimeMainer

Mar 24, 2011
Salem,MA/Dexter,ME
This is the first year that i've been doing some serious burning and this forum has really helped me out. Thanks!
I need to clean the stove pipe but I'm not sure about what tools to purchase. I have a single story camp where the pipe comes straight out of the stove and then continues to go straight up thru the roof, I'd say I have about 20' of 6" pipe. would someone be able to look at an online stove shop and tell me what I need to purchase?

Hi -

I got a 6" brush, mine's steel. I got a couple sections of galvanized elctrical conduit, and a conduit joint. I drilled the brush shank and conduit so I could put a small(10/32x 1"?) bolt and thumb nut to secure the brush ot the conduit. I disconnect the stove, tape a plastic bag to th bottom of the pipe, then brush from the top down. Every year I get a cuouple of cups of fly ash and a bit of flaky dark stuff from the very top.

This is what the offer up on the Online stores. 6" Round Poly Chimney Brush, this will clean both stainless steel flexible or rigid liners that are used to vent wood. The brush has stiff polypropylene bristles, and will resist acids. 4 each of the 5' cleaning rods with 3/8" threads will get you the 20' needed.

You could always walk into a fireplace shop and ask them. They would probably have the stuff right in stock, give you some pointers and make sure you buy the right things.

there aren't any stove shops near me that I can find.
I'm thinking of ordering this kit

1/4" size 6" or 8" Round Chimney Cleaning Kits
MAKES ORDERING EASY 6" Kit = 54.95 or 8" kit = 59.95
Includes 5 4' homeowner rods and 6" or 8" round poly brush
This is all you need to clean your chimney

they also have a 3/8" kit that is a little more money.

I'm thinking the 1/4" kit will work.

Rocky's Stove Shop is a few miles off the highway in Augusta . . . and I'm pretty sure there are some stove shops in the Waterville area.

That said . . . I ordered through Northlineexpress.com . . . had good luck with them . . . half decent products at good prices.

Since I have a 6-inch Class A chimney I ordered a 6-inch poly brush and enough rods to go to the cap . . . or vice versa . . . enough rods to go to the stove.

1/4" threaded rods are typically for smaller diameter pipes 3" & 4", ( I thought), didn't know if they even made brushes for 6" in that size. I'm sure if comonSMART or any of the other sweeps, or wood burners here would know if 1/4" threaded rod could push through a 6" 20' pipe without to much difficultly.

I have a Rutland 6" poly brush and it has a 1/4 inch fitting. So I think you would also need an 3/8 to 1/4 adapter if you got the 3/8 rods. I don't use any rods, I just pull it through with a rope. Although, next time I plan on buying some pvc conduit and making up some rods so I can get it a little cleaner.

Usually, the 1/4" rods are for pellet stove pipe cleaning.
Not saying there is no 1/4" for wood burners.
The 1.4" will flex more. Could be good, usually not, but for say only a 20' run, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.