Cleaning day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drstorm

Burning Hunk
Aug 19, 2016
Northeast PA
We are in the 50s today so I let the stove burn out overnight.
I took the inside pipes off to clean as well as sweeping bottom up outside.
How about some thoughts on what you see.
20171125_124557.jpg
20171125_131522 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty glazed and gooey to me. I would be thinking not cured wood or not burning hot enough or both.

Yeah, I thought glazed and gooey also.I burn a lot of the eco-bricks but I know I stalled the cat twice since the last cleaning so maybe I am trying to push it too low or running the fans too much.
I guess I should hire a professional sweep to take a look too.

the class A doesn't look to bad once past the thimble, The second pic I'm assuming is the inside portion from stove collar to the through the wall T, if I'm not mistaken I think I'm seeing single wall pipe, if that's the case your flue gases are cooling to fast due to the stove running low, change out the single wall to double wall and continue burning as normal.

Reactions: drstorm
the class A doesn't look to bad once past the thimble, The second pic I'm assuming is the inside portion from stove collar to the through the wall T, if I'm not mistaken I think I'm seeing single wall pipe, if that's the case your flue gases are cooling to fast due to the stove running low, change out the single wall to double wall and continue burning as normal.
Got it.
Thanks.
You aren't the first to mention the double wall.
I'll look into doing that in the next few weeks.