Cleaning Harman xxv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODNUT358

Hearth Supporter
Aug 1, 2008
RI
Being new to the pellet burning,I was wondering how most of you with Harman xxv stoves shut down to either clean your burn pots or stove? How long do you let your stoves cool down before opening the door? I'm worried about smoke entering the house.

I do a quick brushing of the heat exchanger and scrap the burn pot on mine with it on and a low flame, this is only a quick scraping of the burn pot. I usually clean the stove once a week but since I am waiting on a friend to fix some leaks on the pipes for my boiler I have not did a good cleaning in three weeks. I have let it run out of pellets a couple of times and scraped the burn pot out after the fire went out then filled it back up and let her run again. I wipe the glass down with a dry paper towel about every three days then just clean it with a damp towel when I have let it sit off for about hour to hour and a half to make sure there are no hot embers to go into the shop vac.

If the combustion blower is running then you usually won't get smoke in the house, I have a couple of times not much by putting out the fire when scarping.

I give the burnpot a quick scrape once a day when the stove is running.
No smoke in the house as long as the door is not opened too fast or all the way.

I usually clean the exchangers and vac out the stove once a week after the
stove has been turned off for a while and cool.

I've only had my XXV for about a month and this is what the installer and the stove shop recommended to me. Scrape the burn pot and heat exchanger every week and remove the ash and vacuum out the stove every ton. I have been scrapping the burn pot and heat exchanger every 2 to 3 days and I've I cleaned the stove for the 1st time this past weekend. I cleaned it at about 3/4 of a ton because of the cold weather coming to the northeast this weekend. My stove seems to be running fine with this schedule. It took about 1 hour for my stove cool down enough to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.