Cleaning/Painting/Remodeling a Hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
I am considering pulling the old Buck Stove insert out and just sitting a free standing stove in place of it. I know I will have to install a block-off plate to seal the area above the stove. The Buck Stove does not have a pipe coming off the top of it, as it just pushes back in the fireplace opening and it has a metal plate that seals around the front of it. Since I have had the stove out of there before, I already know it is black back inside of there. The fireplace/chimney is block and brick. The brick is what is inside and is covered with black soot. My question is, what would be the easiest way of removing the black from the brick and possibly be able to paint the brick. It was built out of the old pale red brick and many years ago, it was painted a tan color. I know it will have to be cleaned, but may even possibly repaint before installing a new stove. TIA.

In many cases, you can use regular latex paints to paint masonry - most of it soaks in, and the stove out in front is not likely to make it too hot. You can also use certain masonry paints -available at masonry yards.

As far as cleaning any brick - anything and everything! I have used wire brushes for heavy soot, paste made from baking soda and water, various compounds (Speedy White is one brand name), etc........it's very likely you have something around the house that might do the job.

Chlorox sprayed on and then rinsed is another option. If you do, have plenty of ventilation.

I have material blasted brick surfaces, walls, hearths with great success in the future. There is a huge selection of material and equipment to use.
Personally, I dislike painted masonry of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.