Old Portuguese Kitchen Fireplace needs....help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scuda

Jan 14, 2024
Portugal
Hello!
This is my first post on this forum, and I'm glad that I found it. Let' s see if I can get some advice here on my new/old Portuguese fireplace.

I've added a photo here with measurements for reference.

The fireplace exists inside the kitchen, which is a typical Portuguese installation from old, pre-residential electricity access. Being a classic home feature, I want to keep the fireplace in my rebuild of the house. However...I'm not sure this fireplace was even remotely built to "good" standards, meaning, standards that don't smoke out the kitchen if one isn't 1000% careful with starting a fire inside it.

So, my question(s) is: are the dimensions of the opening and depth incorrect? If so, I'm thinking to reduce the height by closing off the open space in round of the arch, either with tempered glass or steel or even brick if I have too. I've taken a look at some dimensions from the Brick Industry Association, and if applying Rumford Fireplace dimensions to what I have, the opening is far too high for its width. Or...something else I'm missing/not considering?

My goal here is to leave the fireplace as open as possible, since roasting hot dogs in the kitchen over a live fire has its charm. But I also do not want to breath in the smoke, for you know, health reasons!

Thanks. -Steve

QdL - Kitchen Fireplace measurements.jpg

What is the size of the opening at the top?
The opening is large. Maybe build up the hearth floor in the fireplace to raise it a half meter?

What is the size of the opening at the top?
The opening is large. Maybe build up the hearth floor in the fireplace to raise it a half meter?
Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean the opening at the top of the chimney? I don't know that, yet.
If you mean the opening to the firebox, it is the same as the bottom: 97cm / 38 inches.

Building up is a solution, for sure. If there is no better solution for lowering the top arch or installing a "shield" there, building up is maybe the easiest thing to do. Thanks.

Done right with insulation and shielding there would be room for some wood storage underneath.

Reactions: kcmclellan