Cleaning propane tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkusek

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2008
Nebraska
So far I have put in a 1.4 gal jug of bleach and bottle of Lemon Joy in each tank, filled to top, waited 1 day, drained. Refilled to top with same bleach and Lemon Joy, sat overnight, added a smaller 3 qt jug of bleach with orange bottle of Pamolive (sold out on Lemon Joy) the next morning, and let that set overnight. I did this with both 500 gal and the 250 gal that I plan to use for expansion. I will probably drain everthing today since it is supposed to get down in the mid 20's tonight. I catch only a faint smell when walking around my bulding when still 60ft away. When I am right by tanks I don't smell it. I did spill some of the liquid petrol on the ground while initially draining the smaller 250 gal tank (no bottom drain) but it was only a quart or so. That may be what still smells. On the final draining I may run all the water over that area to flush it away.

This method seems to be what others did in previous posts. I did not get any black gunk however like some of the other pictures indicated. One 500 gal tank had been vented for several months. The other 500 and the 250 still had propane in them a week ago. The place where I got them initially told me all 3 had been vented previously but they did pump out those 2 before they delivered.

The water from the first flush seemed very clean and odorless. I guess I was expecting black goo, rust, or at least stinky water to come out. Anyone had any experience on this that hasn't already been discussed? The propane guy offered to come out Saturday afternoon and set them in place in the pole barn. Only one of the tanks has a bottom drain so I think I will have him lift the other two from their bottom legs and give them a good rinsing upside down.

Husker,

That was a little more cleaning then I did. I did leave my 500 gal. tank outside venting for about 1 mos. When I was ready to put it in there was no smell. The smell did come back for maybe one week when I started to use it for storage. My tank is in my basement and the smell wasn't overwellming.

Good to hear. My pole is tightly insulated like a home so I didn't want to make myself sick working in there. Would be a royal PITA if I had to take them back outside to vent some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.