Cleaning stove pipe on Quad 3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wilbursan

Jan 29, 2014
Upper Alabama
I'm trying to clean the stove pipe (for the first time). There's no way I'm getting on that roof, it's much too steep. So I tried to remove a section of pipe and after some light beating with no luck I decided I'd just go up through the stove. I've got the baffles and pipes removed but the hole is all the way in the back and the stove isn't very tall, which means the cleanind rod has to bend 90 degrees in a very shot space and it just won't go. I'm using a Rutland brush and rod I got from Tractor Supply (link below). It's a very sturdy rod, maybe too sturdy? Are there other more flexible rods? Does anyone else clean their Quad from the stove up? The only other thing I've cleaned like this is a fireplace but there was a lot more room.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rutland-18-ft-chimney-brush-extension-rod-kit-3198080

You want a soot eater rotary cleaner (it looks like a weed eater) with white poly rods. It will go up and through the corners. No need to go top down, go bottom up.

I'm trying to salvage my investment in cleaning rods and brushes I just bought so I'd rather not go out and buy a whole new set. I see in an old post here that someone used a flexible nylon rod to connect to the brush and the fiberglass after that. Unfortunately Rutland doesn't seem to make that rod in 1/4" NPT anymore, only in their proprietary 1/4" TC. After buying the rod and two adapters I'd be out $77 - that's more than I paid for the cleaning kit.

So I'm looking at Meeco's Red Devil chimney brush extension in 1/4" NPT. I see some ads that claim it will navigate multiple 90 degree bends, but it's fiberglass so that doesn't seem likely.

Northline Express sells what they call a pellet brush rod that is nylon and is 1/4" NPT. Seems much more flexible and it is also the exact same part number that Rutland used for the flexible rod they used to sell in 1/4" NPT so I'm guessing it's a deliberate copy (could be a coincidence though).

Has anyone used either one of these?

I had never heard of a soot eater till I cam here. A few years ago I would have said exactly what you said. I have a full set of rods and a brush. I finally broke down and bought a soot eater and nylon rods. I still hit myself when I think of the difference. The soot eater is easier to use, works faster, works better (way better) and does not do damage to your liner like a brush can.