cleaning the chimney Newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Howdy,

Never cleaned the chimney before, but a few questions before I go crawling around on the roof.

I'm going to be using conduit so as to bend around to 30 degree elbows I have.

1. Do you remove the ceramic boards (I have an englander 30 NCL) and clean right into the stove?

2. Also, what connections have others used to connect the conduit? I don't want it coming apart when I clean it?

3. How hard do you scrub in there? Was wondering how much elbow grease I need?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I've never cleaned with that type of stove so can't help there. We've always installed a tee so that we can clean from the bottom up if possible. For the poles, we have cheap ones bought at the local hardware. They come in 42" sections (don't remember for sure the length) and are threaded. So we simply screw one section on, push the brush up and screw the next section on, etc. These fiberglass sections are not expensive and I would recommend them.

After I've ran the brush up and brought it back down, I then go up again, only this time I use a scrubbing action. That is, I'll push the brush up about 2' and then bring it back down. Then I go up 4' and bring it back down 2'. Then up 4' and down 2' etc. I use this same method on the way down. Yes, most times it probably doesn't need that scrubbing action, but if you do it you might get some small particles out that you wouldn't have otherwise and your chimney will stay cleaner longer.

As to how often to clean the chimney, that all depends upon your fuel, your stove and how you burn it. We've cleaned our chimney as many as 4 or 5 times in one season (one year when we had to burn green stuff) to as little as every other year. Last year after installing the new Woodstock Fireview, we did not have to clean even once. Nice!

Good luck, and remember, it really is not that bad of a job and shouldn't take very long either.

If you're talking about that galvanized like electrical conduit...i don't think it' make that bend. Yeah I know you can bend conduit but it doesn't flex back...it collapses.

Do a search Gooserider used 3/4" plastic pipe on a homemade chimney cleaning project and he tells what kind of fasteners to use. Pretty sure it's in the gear forum...but it could be DIY.

savageactor7 said:
If you're talking about that galvanized like electrical conduit...i don't think it' make that bend. Yeah I know you can bend conduit but it doesn't flex back...it collapses.

Do a search Gooserider used 3/4" plastic pipe on a homemade chimney cleaning project and he tells what kind of fasteners to use. Pretty sure it's in the gear forum...but it could be DIY.

He was probably talking about PVC conduit - the gray stuff??

As for the OP - what ceramic boards? I am not sure about that 30 but many stoves enable you to sweep right into the stove. Some you have to remove firebrick or baffles or just open the bypass. As for how do you connect the brush - adapt the brush threads to a threaded fitting on the PVC - the plumbing section of the hardware store should have what you need. You can connect metal and plastic. That is how you would need to connnect the PVC together too right? Male and female adapters??

Thanks folks....I'm also having to burn some green this year as well. I already have my wood cut for next year drying already, but wasn't expecting to put in a stove this year (the price was too good). So I think some cleanings wood be in order to be safe.

Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.