Cleaning the Shop Vac Filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
I am using as I am sure a lot of you are a shop vac with a sheet rock filter to clean out your pellet stoves.

My question is how often do you pellet heads clean the filter?

Filter works great but is starting to fill up with dust and is due for a cleaning.

Wondering if you clean your filters with water or just bang the dust out?

Thx

I've been buying the Shop-Vac fine dust filter bags so when they're full I just change it. This keeps the cartridge filter clean of ash. When I use my Shop-Vac for other uses and need to clean the cartridge I usually use a compressor and blow it out when it's dirty.

So far I have just shook the dust out. I don't know if my hepa style filter is supposed to get wet.

So far I have just banged out the dust.........

orangecrushcj7 said:
So far I have just shook the dust out. I don't know if my hepa style filter is supposed to get wet.
I have a Shop-Vac Hepa filter and it says to tap it clean (box shows someone banging it on the ground/pavement) or rinse it clean (the box shows someone washing it with a hose). I've been doing the bang it on the ground thing myself as my hose is off for the winter and my wife would have a cow if I tried washing it out in the sink.

I did not know they made the Shop-Vac fine dust filter bags that sounds like the way to go.

Until I buy some its going to be "bang it out" Up wind of course!

pelletizer said:
I did not know they made the Shop-Vac fine dust filter bags that sounds like the way to go.

Until I buy some its going to be "bang it out" Up wind of course!

Upwind??? You coward ;-)

I am using the the fine dust filter bag as well. They seem to be working really well. I am using Athens pellets so I am cleaning out the Burn Pot twice a day and the entire stove after every bag. I would clog the standard filter too fast.

I take it out in the yard and kick it around:)

Shop Vac brand filters at Lowes are around $25USD that are hepa,reusable, and rinseable. I have one for 2 years now and cleaned many times over. No problems

Bang it and even rinse it sometimes. Same filter......three months of use so far.

rap69ri said:
I've been buying the Shop-Vac fine dust filter bags so when they're full I just change it. This keeps the cartridge filter clean of ash. When I use my Shop-Vac for other uses and need to clean the cartridge I usually use a compressor and blow it out when it's dirty.

+1

Wow! There's a lot of banging going on that I didn't know about! LOL

I'm using the fine dust bags in my vac and I'm so cheap that I empty the bags and reuse them. No banging but a whole lot of shakin' going on. ;-)

Wow lots of Shakin bangin pellet heads here, Rap69ri I will shake n bang upwind. No wind tonight I will be a dusty pelletizer!

Using the fine dust bags here in my shop vac.

Status
Not open for further replies.