Cleaning Woodstock Soapstones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2012
Brookhaven, Long Island
Hey guys,
How do you clean your Woodstock soapstones? i say specifically WOODSTOCK because the other brand has a different finish on their stone.

So I have some spots where I spilled grease (oil, butter...) on the stone. It turned dark in color, and then burned mostly off, but still has a noticable spot/stain. Do you just "sand" it off? Steel wool? Any chemicals....?

Thanks, what is the " #0000 " ?

It is the fineness of the steel wool. Comes in different fineness, like sandpaper.

It is not the steelwool you get at the supermarket that has soap impregnated.

Buy it at a hardware. Often used for finishing wool, or polishing/waxing wood floor. I bought a bunch 8 years ago, have hardly used any.

The stains really don't bother me much. Each tells its story of a cooking mishap...

I have also used rubbing alcohol to help remove stains with good results.

Great, will give these a try. thank guys...

In addition to cleaning the stains, if you want to remove some scratches, lightly sand with .00 steel wool or 120 grit sandpaper. The surface can then be smoothed with 400 grit sandpaper or .0000 steel wool. To remove dust created by sanding, clean with a vacuum cleaner; a damp cloth will simply spread it around.

The above came from page 17 of the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.