1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

New here guys and I'm learning a lot ! From my reading I see that most of the time the problem is not cleaning a stove enough or the answer to most problems is to clean the stove . My question is can you over clean your stove ?
    Do more harm than good ? My main reason for asking is I wire brush my heat tubes and just about anything else I can ( its a soft wire brush ) can I hurt the tubes or anything else for that matter ?
    Also I normally have my stove cleaned at the end of year by the company that put it in and this past season for the first time in 4 years they spray painted the inside ( the tech I had this year says we always do that ) I'm cose to being able ( I think ) to do the end of year myself . So does the paint go on everything ? They even sprayed the probe . Do I spray the heat tubes and shields ?
    I have a cb1200 if that makes a difference .
    Thanks again for all the help guys !

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. zrtmatos

zrtmatos Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I saw a thread recently where the owner spray painted the inside firebrick copper and sand to give a real nice contrast and pizzaz to it. I think keeping it painted is always better than rust. As far as the probes, just remember to cover them before painting.
  3. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    I would think that whatever was painted to start with could be re-painted. The only detrimental thing I can think of is that the new paint will have to burn in again and it will smell the next time you light it.

I would imagine that it would take a long time to wear out the tubes with a soft wire brush. The advantages should far outweigh the disadvantages. Pesonally, I clean mine once a week.