CLEANING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
When cleaning inside of the firebox (sweep will clean the rest) for the season, should I remove the firebrick from the floor and walls to vacuum? Alderlea T5 insert. I always use the ash vac on all the "orifaces" during general cleaning, but have no removed bricks.

Unless your stove has some hard to get to air inlets that may be plugged and need cleaning, I do not believe that is necessary.

pen

Correct, not necessary with PE stoves or most others that I can think of.

Oh good, I was afraid of chipping them. Besides, I am inherently lazy. :p

What is this "cleaning" of which you speak? I see no reason to go to the extent of vacuuming the inside of the stove. Shovel it out, clean the glass, call it good untill next year.

I removed the baffle and side rails with insulation from our Super 27 on Monday. I took them outside and wiped the dust off. I only removed two fire bricks. One had ash behind it preventing it was sitting against the back of the stove. I've read posts from other PE owners who vacuumed out the air tube that connects to the baffle. I replaced the worn gasket where the baffle connects with a homemade one from a loop of gasket held together with some wire (great tip from a fellow Hearth.com member). I didn't vacuum out the air tube because I don't have an ash filter for our shop vac and have not had any problems with airflow through the baffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.