clear cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

20cordayear

Sep 28, 2011
united states
Well I should have plenty of fire wood for the coming years being I. Am clear cutting at least a 10 acre section of woods full of ash pretty thick with large trees any body know the best way to clear cut

Get a feller buncher!

It's not the clear cutting that is hard, it's the stump removal that can be challenging.

Danno77 said:
It's not the clear cutting that is hard, it's the stump removal that can be challenging.

Bingo!

Therefore, the BEST way would be to hire an experienced large dozer/excavator operator.

smokinjay said:
Get a feller buncher!
Says the guy with an 880! Go big or go home, I guess!

Find a state forester for your area, and ask for leads and options.

You might just want to tie this into reforestation (and not monoculture.) Forester advise.

Clear cutting 10 acres is a lot of wood. Are you looking for someone to chip it? Sell logs? Sell firewood? And as stated, the stumps are the big problem and it can get expensive hiring someone with a dozer.

What is your goal for clearcutting? Are you only trying to harvest the trees or are you looking to create edge habitat for wildlife? Are you planning on letting it go back to forest?

Matt

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Get a feller buncher!
Says the guy with an 880! Go big or go home, I guess!

Thats alot of wood. Man hours felling would be that bad but moving it another story. Love to watch a big one fall, but then the 20,000 lbs have to be moved. One guy moving this....Its going to take an army!

Clear cutting usually means a serious wood cutting operation . . . am a bit curious myself as to the reason . . . making a field?

Status
Not open for further replies.