Clearance Clarification Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
I am still considering installing an older non-listed stove. I want to put it in a corner. If I understand the article below the rear corners of the stove can be 12" from each wall if I shield it with a 24 ga shield one inch from the wall? Suppose I decide to make a thicker stone wall with the same air space, would the reduced stone wall to stove space be an issue?

Is there anywhere I can read the NFPA 211 on line?

Thanks

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

CSAW said:
I am still considering installing an older non-listed stove. I want to put it in a corner. If I understand the article below the rear corners of the stove can be 12" from each wall if I shield it with a 24 ga shield one inch from the wall? Suppose I decide to make a thicker stone wall with the same air space, would the reduced stone wall to stove space be an issue?

In the corner case described, it doesn't matter if the shield is made from metal or stone on a cement backerboard. The clearances are measured to the nearest combustible which is the wall behind the shield. Just be sure that the shield is open at the top and bottom so as to permit good airflaow behind it. A 1" gap is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.