Clearance from no combustible wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahoney86

Aug 18, 2015
NJ / NY
I did a search and didn't find the answer so I'm posting it. I finished my non combustible wall behind me Jotul f400. I have a 1" air gap followed by a layer of 1/2" durock, a skim coat or type s mortar and metal lathe followed by ledgestone veener. The ledge stone varies in size from 1" deep to 3" deep. In the Jotul manual it shows that a stove with rear hear shield has to be a min of 7" off a non combustible wall. The actual photo in the manual shows the distance taken from a gyp. wall, passing through the noncombustible wall and then to the stove. These 3" stones are messing with my clearance as this puts my 5-6" off the face of the stone veneer. So is this 7" min clearance off my gyp wall, durock noncombustible wall or the face of stone? Thanks

So is your wall non combustible or is it a sheilded combustible wall. If it is a combustible wall with stone over it you need to go by the distance to the combustible material unless the manual says you can reduce it due to the sheilding

So is your wall non combustible or is it a sheilded combustible wall. If it is a combustible wall with stone over it you need to go by the distance to the combustible material unless the manual says you can reduce it due to the sheilding[/QUOTE

My main wall is gypsum, which I then installed a layer of Durock spaced 1" away from the gyp wall. The Durock wall is covered in stone varying from 1-3" thick. The Jotul has a rear hear sheild

In most cases with a modern stove it makes no difference if the wall is sheilded or not you have to go by the listed clearance to combustibles which in your case would be that drywall behind the stone. That is unless the manual says otherwise

Reactions: Highbeam
So with that statement, it sounds like the minimum 7" the jotul states from combustibles with a shielded wall is taken from the combustible wall. Currently my stove is 5" from the face of stone. This face of stone is 5" from the gyp wall behind the durock. Which with your logic technically puts the rear of my stove 10" from the combustible wall correct?

So with that statement, it sounds like the minimum 7" the jotul states from combustibles with a shielded wall is taken from the combustible wall. Currently my stove is 5" from the face of stone. This face of stone is 5" from the gyp wall behind the durock. Which with your logic technically puts the rear of my stove 10" from the combustible wall correct?

Correct. It's clearance to combustibles. The paper on the drywall is the first combustible. There is no air gap requirement between stove and non-combustible stuff.

Correct. It's clearance to combustibles. The paper on the drywall is the first combustible. There is no air gap requirement between stove and non-combustible stuff.
Great thank you. I thought I may have to move my chimney flashing slightly to achieve 7" gap off of the face of stone. So as long as I maintain 7" clearance from the gyp wall I am good. It doesn't matter how close the stove is to the stone wall.

Yes, you have some wiggle room there. Is the stone wall open 1" at the bottom to allow for ventilation behind the wall shield?

Excellent. The gypsum wall should stay comfortably cool at all times, even with a good blaze going. Post some pictures when you have a good fire going.

Can't wait to see it. Sounds like you spent the effort to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.