Clearance help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo

Oct 22, 2015
Nh
Hi y'all I'm looking at getting a new stove. I'm looking at the pleasant hearth medium stove. It says the clearance I need from the chimney connector to the back wall is 16"', I have 15. Can I throw up a stove pipe shield or put something on the wall to gain some inches. also when they say 14 inch clearance to the back wall is that from the back of the actual stove box or the heat shield. Thx any pointers would be highly appreciated
Clearance help

Last edited by a moderator:
Crappy clearance instructions. I hate that they make this ambiguous. Single wall pipe needs 18" wall clearance. (Note that clearance of 18" may be required by the authority having jurisdiction.) That trumps the stove requirements. The 14" to the back wall is only possible with double-wall stove pipe or by adding pipe shield to the single wall pipe. You'll have to inquire with Pleasant Hearth to clarify the 14" but I would take that to be from the rear heat shield.

It doesn't hurt to exceed minimums. What are the constraints with this install? Are there other issues?

Crappy clearance instructions. I hate that they make this ambiguous. Single wall pipe needs 18" wall clearance. (Note that clearance of 18" may be required by the authority having jurisdiction.) That trumps the stove requirements. The 14" to the back wall is only possible with double-wall stove pipe or by adding pipe shield to the single wall pipe. You'll have to inquire with Pleasant Hearth to clarify the 14" but I would take that to be from the rear heat shield.

It doesn't hurt to exceed minimums. What are the constraints with this install? Are there other issues?[/QUO
Thx begreen. The stovepipe coming in from my roof is 15/12 inches from the wall. The flue on that stove is 1 1/4 in from the back of that stoves that puts it at about 14 from the back wall but if it's from the heat shield that would put it about 12 from the wall. Would I be able to put a heat shield on the wall to gain clearance. Thx

This would be secondary heating in my home I have a 2500 square ft housE insulated very well. another option I'm thinking would be the englander 13 nch. It says it heats up to 1800 sq ft and it looks like I would meet all the clearances, Is that a decent stove/would that be fine as it would not be my primary heat source.

Also does anyone know how far on the flue on the englander 13 nch is from the back of the heat shield. Also I've read these stoves need airflow, my house is pretty airtight but I do have two ceiling fans in the room the stove would be, would that create enough air flow?

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be secondary heating in my home I have a 2500 square ft housE insulated very well. another option I'm thinking would be the englander 13 nch. It says it heats up to 1800 sq ft and it looks like I would meet all the clearances, Is that a decent stove/would that be fine as it would not be my primary heat source.
That is a good heater though note that this stove has high hearth insulation requirements. Take a look at the 2 cu ft TrueNorth TN20 for closer clearances and ember only hearth requirements. Another stove that would work is the slightly larger Englander Madison with closer clearances and an easy hearth requirement. All of these stoves are under $1000.

the tn20 looks like the clearances will work. I couldn't find the clearances for the englander but im gonna keep poking around. i really appreciate the info thank you very much.

If you want to be safe and drop the clearances further, you can install a piece of sheet metal (or maybe diamond plate, would look cool) on the wall(s) beside the stove. Have a spacers keeping it at least 1" from the wall and this will drop the requirements by a third. So your clearance would go from 16" (18" if single wall pipe) to 11-12".

thx guys. begreen the madison says the clearance from the flue connector to the wall must be 12 inches away with a single wall connector. I was under the impression that a single wall must be 18 inches away from the wall. Do the stove clearances trump that or must a single wall always be 18 inches. thx

Pipe clearance trumps stove clearance. Not sure why Englander and a few other companies post lower than permitted clearances for single wall pipe. It is the source of frequent confusion.

Reactions: Bingo
thx begreen, so im 14.5 inches from the wall so i could do a double wall, or a single wall with heat shield. Would it be worth it to just go for the double wall.

I prefer to use double-wall connector. Hotter flue gases mean better draft and usually a cleaner chimney. It also makes for a cleaner looking install.

To clarify, how is the stove being installed and where is the 14.5" being measured? Is this a flat wall or a corner installation? What stove did you settle on?

Reactions: Bingo
I prefer to use double-wall connector. Hotter flue gases mean better draft and usually a cleaner chimney. It also makes for a cleaner looking install.

To clarify, how is the stove being installed and where is the 14.5" being measured? Is this a flat wall or a corner installation? What stove did you settle on?

I have'nt settled on a stove yet but i'm thinking either the madison englander or the tn20. it will be a flat wall installation. the 14.5 measurement is how far away the existing chimney pipe coming in from the ceiling is away from the back wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.