Clearance Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jmoney

Feb 23, 2024
New York
Hey all,

Have a Vermont Casting SDV30 Stardance and I'm a bit confused about the clearances. I believe I'm too close but feel the placard conflicts with the install manual. Also what would be the best route to move the stove away from the wall? A 45 degree angle adter the 90? Thanks
20240224_183134.jpg
20240224_183221.jpg
20240224_183203.jpg
20240224_183325.jpg
20240224_183336.jpg
20240224_183209.jpg

I don't know why there is a discrepancy between the clearances listed in the manual and the placard, but I would call the manufacturer and do what they recommend.

As for where you take your measurements, you need to measure on a straight axis from the centerline of the vent. You can find this by placing a piece of cardboard over the vent with two intersecting lines drawn meeting in the middle.
You also need to be measuring from the closest point to the stove( the window trim, not the glass, and on the other side, the lowest part of the clapboard siding course).

I don't know why there is a discrepancy between the clearances listed in the manual and the placard, but I would call the manufacturer and do what they recommend.

As for where you take your measurements, you need to measure on a straight axis from the centerline of the vent. You can find this by placing a piece of cardboard over the vent with two intersecting lines drawn meeting in the middle.
You also need to be measuring from the closest point to the stove( the window trim, not the glass, and on the other side, the lowest part of the clapboard siding course).
Thank you for the reply. Looks like I will have to get a 45° to bring it further out.

You will need 2 45s, unless you rotate the 90 to 45 degrees.
I'm confused on that. See my picture. Say the 45 is the PVC pipe I am holding . The 90 would go right after it allowing for the stove to get away from the wall. At least I think so.
20240225_085358.jpg

I stand corrected. You can achieve the result you want with that method.
Thank you. Now on to the next hurdle.... I found the orginal manual (1998 publication) and it only allows for 4 elbows; whereas the manual off the web (2002 publication)allows for 6 . Hopefully Vermont Casting tech support can clear this up. Not sure what changed in 4 years.