Clearance Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micahr

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2008
foggy california coast
Im fixin to install a wood stove where the inadequate gas burning wanna be stove is located in the corner of our living room.

So far I understand the clearances to the walls and floors, plannng to install off set durock with tile, does anybody know what code or standard allows this to reduce the clearance by 50%? Or was the salesman blowin smoke.

This would be a freestanding stove in a corner, Id like to incorporate a wood mantle, though I dont see a clearance specified for free standing only for inserts, would it be advisable to use that clearance, from the top of stove to bottom of mantle? I suppose the clearance from the single wall connector to the mantle may be to tight though and will have to check the manufacturer of the pipe for that.

Also, our house is a mere 750 sq ft, thought it has vaulted ceilings and poor insulation. The sales person suggests I upgrade the stove accordingly. Any suggestions here, add 50%? Rather than gaging our needs by sq ft anybody venture to guess btu's necessary?

Your stove has installation instructions that will answer your questions. My only suggestion to you at this point is to assume there is little difference between a stove salesman and a used car salesman wearing a leisure suit... Read and believe the manufacturers specifications; not the salesman.

Hey, micahr,

<>Im fixin to install a wood stove where the inadequate gas burning wanna be stove is located in the corner of our living room. So far I understand the clearances to the walls and floors, plannng to install off set durock with tile, does anybody know what code or standard allows this to reduce the clearance by 50%? Or was the salesman blowin smoke.<>

You installation manual & NFPA 211 will answer THAT...

<>This would be a freestanding stove in a corner, Id like to incorporate a wood mantle, though I dont see a clearance specified for free standing only for inserts, would it be advisable to use that clearance, from the top of stove to bottom of mantle?<>

IF it's not specified, I believe you're gonna hafta stay 36" away per NFPA 211, but generally with a rear &/or side heat shields & double-wall connector pipe, you can reduce the clearance considerably...

<>I suppose the clearance from the single wall connector to the mantle may be to tight though and will have to check the manufacturer of the pipe for that.<>

Nope. ANY single wall pipe MUST be 18" MINIMUM from combustibles in ALL directions...

<>so, our house is a mere 750 sq ft, thought it has vaulted ceilings and poor insulation. The sales person suggests I upgrade the stove accordingly. Any suggestions here, add 50%? Rather than gaging our needs by sq ft anybody venture to guess btu's necessary?<>

Not sure what the lowest winter temps are in your area, but if your house was in NY, we'd shoot for 50 BTU/SQ FT to heat the ENTIRE area...
Then we'd add another 33% for the cathedral ceilings...
So...

50 x 1.33 = 66.5 BTU/ SQ FT

66.5 BTU x 750 BTU/SQ Ft = 46875 BTU (OUTPUT)

46875 BTU (output) / 75% (EFFICIENCY) = 62500 BTU (INPUT)

Simple formula, but the problem is getting the heat into every square foot...
You'll definitely hafta find some mechanical means to move the heat SIDEWAYS...
You can downsize the unit if you can close off some areas that really don't require heat...
It'll be Hotter than you know what in the room with the stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.