Clearance Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

realstihl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2007
eastern kansas
My stove manual states clearances w/double wall and w/single wall stove pipe. Which measurement would one use w/single wall pipe w/sheilding? Just curious because I'm thinking about going back to single wall if I can figure out clearance. Also I have another question-How do you shield horizontal pipe? All the pipe shields that I've seen state for vertical installation only. Thanks!

Pipe shielding can reduce the clearance requirement down to 6", the same as for double-wall pipe if the shield goes all the way down past the flue collar. For the horiz. section, a ceiling wall shield with 1" air gap may suffice. It would be best to discuss this with the inspector. Personally, I would just go with double-wall for a cleaner pipe, more finished look and peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.