Clearance Reduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cham1733

Jun 25, 2014
Hi, I am hoping someone here can clarify some questions for me. We just bought a Dutchwest 2461 wood stove. We are looking at the manual and I am a little confused on the clearances from the side of the stove to the wall. The manual says if it is an unprotected surface it is 22in but if it is a protected surface it is 12in. Now I know are walls being drywall are an unprotected surface but it would be ideal if we can knock 8in off our clearance to the side wall. The reason being it is going in our basement and to have a 22in clearance the chimney would be running right smack dab in front of a bedroom window. So my question is what is the best way to reduce the clearance? I was looking at heat shields but would putting a metal heat shield an inch from the wall reduce our clearance to 12in from the heat shield? I am not sure if a heat shield would be considered a protected surface if it is just in front of our wall. I have attached a picture of the manual that I am looking at. When I called our town building inspector I was told that there is no set defination to how much a heat shield would reduce clearances so if it is not in the manual that we can't do it. Any help in appreciated.

Attachments

• 7001135_Dutchwest_2460_29.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 293
a heat sheild is a non combustible material spaced an inch off the wall with an inch gap at the bottom to let air in and the same at the top

Ok. So with a heat shield positioned as you said above would that classify as a protected surface now? Sorry if this is common sense, I am new to all of this.

Yes that is how nfpa211 instructs you to make a heat sheild and that would then be a protected wall

Is the stove going in a bedroom?

No, it is going in our basement. However, where we are looking at putting it is near our sump pump which is enclosed.

Clearance Reduction

here's the table on the materials listed in NFPA 211

Edit: sorry if it's a little small

Status
Not open for further replies.