Clearance to combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemc53

Oct 25, 2008
SE Michigan
I have a couple of questions:

Why with some stoves do they recommend greater distance to combustibles when using double wall as opposed to single wall? I would have thought that double wall would usually allow for a decrease.

Even with the proper distances I would like to monitor heat at the closest combustibles. I am curious - with drywall & wood trim, what is the danger zone, temp wise?

Just trying to figure some things out.

That is usually the case. What stove is this for?

The concern zone is roughly 180 degrees, with a good margin of safety at that. HW heating pipes are often at that temp.

In theory, double wall pipe keeps inside of flue hotter which increases draft which causes stove to burn hotter. Hence greater clearances. In reality I don't know if this is true but I think that is the reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.