clearance to wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlo

Nov 19, 2007
PA
Ok, so I used a rear heat shield with my Jotul f600 which reduced the clearance requirments to 1 foot. The wall behind the stove, above the heat shield is very warm to touch. I am cocnerned about the drywall. So my questions are:
-What is the flash point of drywall and does it lower over time with exposre to heat?
-Can I put a Heat shield on the wall with a 1" spacer. I was thinking some sheet metal pianted with thermal paint attached to the wall with 1" spacers. This will reduce the clearance to 11". Combustables will still be 12" away. Is this still code?

Thanks!

Your stove probably specifies that you can reduce clearances from combustibles with a stove rear heatshield, AND double wall pipe or a heatshield on your pipe; not just the rear heatshield alone. As long as you meet the minimums, you should be fine. If you don't have the heatshiled on your pipe, I would add one, and then make sure you're meeting minimums.

Im am currently using simpson double wall black pipe with a minimum clearance of 8". I am currently using a heat shield. I am just wondering if 12" clearance can be interupted with a sheet metal wall shield without issues. Also What is the flash point temp of drywall? I guess I'm being over cautious but I like my house not charred.

Is this a corner install or flat wall? You should be fine with clearances after installing the heat shield. 11" is still well within Jotul specs for the stove for clearance from protected surfaces.

Flat wall and thanks!

Attachments

• DSC04851-330x435.jpg
    DSC04851-330x435.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 347
The paper (on drywall) will ignite around 451 degrees. I'm not sure about the window coverings nearby.

How hot is it behind the stove? Can you touch your palm briefly on the surface?

Regardless, you are fine if you want to build a wall shield as described. Peace of mind is important.

However, is the right side door locked permanently closed?

Per Jotul: "A hearth pad measuring 45” wide X 53” deep can be used.
However, use of the right side load door is prohibited when this
size hearth is used; because access to the firebox is only allowed
through a door that has a minimum of 18” (460mm) of hearth
protection."

Just got done fabricating a heat shield extension. I will post a pic when I can. I have no side door, it's a top loader! The wall gets warm but not hot. I can keep my hand there idefinetly. I just want to be extra safe! Kurtains and window treatment are not effected at all and remain cool. The windows suck and leak cold air !

Status
Not open for further replies.