Clearances for stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I have a complete handle on clearance to combustibles. The questions I don't fully know the answers to are:

What is a distance to a non-combustible- specifically, the perimeter foundation wall which is cinder block?

What is a safe distance to a combustible wall that has been upgraded with non-combustible products? Specifically, a 2x4 wall that has one layer of 1/4 inch cement board with a 1 inch air space to another layer of 1/2 inch cement board?

I also understand it varies stove to stove. The stove is an older VC Defiant. No cat in this unit, single wall stove, 33 inches wide.

My dilema is that I currently have the stove situated 90 degrees from how I would prefer to face it, due to space limitations. If I can get closer to the masonary wall I may be able to turn the stove, or at least angle it.

mywaynow said:
I have a complete handle on clearance to combustibles. The questions I don't fully know the answers to are:

What is a distance to a non-combustible- specifically, the perimeter foundation wall which is cinder block?

ZERO. You can put it right against the concrete block is you want to. That proximity may restrict some convection around the stove, but probably won't affect much else...

What is a safe distance to a combustible wall that has been upgraded with non-combustible products? Specifically, a 2x4 wall that has one layer of 1/4 inch cement board with a 1 inch air space to another layer of 1/2 inch cement board?

What did you mount the 1/2 cement board to? Steel studs? If so, you can reduce the specified clearance by 67%. If you used framing lumber, you shot yourself in the foot & need to redo it

I also understand it varies stove to stove. The stove is an older VC Defiant. No cat in this unit, single wall stove, 33 inches wide.

It does vary from stove to stove, but only if it's been UL rated. If it hasn't been rated, you have to maintain 36" from combustibles...So if you protected your walls correctly, you can reduce that 36" to 12"

My dilema is that I currently have the stove situated 90 degrees from how I would prefer to face it, due to space limitations. If I can get closer to the masonary wall I may be able to turn the stove, or at least angle it.

Besides having the wall shield supported by non-combustible spacers, it also needs to be open at top and bottom at least one inch and the air space behind it, unrestricted for good ventilation.

Where do I find the technical information on the statements above? I need to provide this to an inspector for approval of install. I have been through the website of Hardiebacker but did not see this info. Apprciaiate any hslp.

USG used to have them on their site for Durock, but since coming out with the NextGen, they pulled them. The wall shield doesn't need to be cement board, just non-combustible. Metal works well too. Hearth.com has the specs in the articles section. The inspector should understand what a NFPA211 approved wall shield is.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Status
Not open for further replies.