Clearances with wall shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
I I make a wall shield out of 1/2" durarock and 1-2" stone veneer it will be approx. 3" thick. Now add 1" air space and its 4" from the wall. if I was to use the cc stove pipe spaced 6" from the WALL would the 1-2" from the WALL SHIELD be acceptable?

Chadwylde said:
Does anyone understand this question?

Sort of. Sounds like double wall stove pipe. In any case, questions about wall shielding are always tricky to answer...because lots of folks go into it thinking they can use one to reduce stove clearances, and come to find out they can't. See my posted response in your other thread. If you're concerned about the distance from the stove pipe to the shield, you really needn't be, because the shield is non-combustible. But without a more thorough description of the appliance and the system and the installation configuration, I'm really hesitant to say you're good to go all the way around. Rick

I am going to be putting in a fireview. The problem I have is the chimney placement requires that I use dvl Close-clearance stove pipe (6" minimum clearance). That would put the stove pipe at 7" from the wall. I would like to use a nice stone veneer on the back wall but that would be about 2" thick bringing the clearance to 4-5" from the wall to the stove pipe. Would it be acceptable to space a wall shield built out of dura-rock and stone veneer one inch from the wall even though the stove pipe would then be a mere 3-4 inches from the wall shield but still 6-7 inches from the wall itself? I checked into offsets and the least amount that woodstock can do is 13"
which is a little too much. I hope this clarifies a bit more.

Sorry, it's still not crystal clear to me what you're wanting to do. Are you trying to move the stove closer to the wall, or are you simply wanting to decorate the wall behind the stove? Let's start with the stove and work our way up. Are you meeting or exceeding the manufacturer's minimum CTC for the appliance where you're putting it, without any shielding? Rick

The placement of the stove is not a big concern for me as my hearth pad will be 4' deep and 5' wide

I want to decorate the wall behind the stove with natural stone veneer which is 1-2" thick.

The way my ceiling trusses are (16" o.c.) requires me to use close clearance stove pipe and the stove pipe will be 6-7" from the wall.

If I built a heat shield (for decorative purposes) out of 1/2'" dura rock and a 1-2" veneer on top of that, and it all was mounted 1" away from the wall would it be acceptable even though the heat shield would be about 2 inches away from the double walled stove pipe?

I think the answer is "yes, no problem"...but please, to confirm, answer yes or no to this question:

Where the installtion is going, without the decoration, are all the CTC minimums (stove & piping) met?

The stove will be the required distance from the wall as will the double walled stove pipe. The stove pipe will be at the required MINUMUM distance from the wall. The Heat shield/Decorative wall will be in between the stove pipe and the stove but sit 1 " off of the wall and be made out of dura rock and stone veneer and will be quite thick, probably about 2+" (under 3") and weigh an awful lot.

You didn't answer "yes" or "no". %-P The answer to your question is that it will be just fine. So long as the stove & piping are in compliance with the required CTC's, then you can put up any sort of vented non-combustible shield you want behind them, regarless of the distance from the appliance/piping to the shield.

The weight should't be a problem, so long as you don't plan to "shop-build" the thing and then rig it into place. It can rest directly on the floor, so long as the sides and top are vented. To be really clever about it, you could drill or cut the bottom edge of the Durock and leave a few little unobtrusive holes in the stone along the bottom for extra venting. There are a number of ways to get the 1" spacing off the wall, but one of the most secure is by simply cutting strips of Durock about 3" wide, doubling them up and screwing them to studs, then go up with the sheet(s), then apply your stone.

Sorry it took me so long to figure out what you're trying to do...but lots of people come here thinking thay can just slap up a wall shield and thus reduce the required minimum CTC's, and that's not always the case. Rick

Thanks for your patience and oh yeah.YES. That is exactly what Im planning to do is build it on to the wall using doubled up durock for spacers and havin it rest on the floor. I figure the weight will be around 400 pounds so yeah, moving it into place would be a bad idea.
I broke my hand at work 2 days ago and now I have all the time in the world to plan this out because by the time im fully healed heating season will be almost over. A blessing in disguise, no more "hurry up and get it in"

Thanks for being so thourough

Ouch! I hope your hand heals promptly and properly. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.