Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric-holmes

Mar 29, 2014
Arkansas
Question about clearances that I can't see to find answered elsewhere...

Why would the NFPA #211 recommend that free standing wood stoves with no label or manufacturer instructions have a minimum 36 inch clearance on all sides but most manufacturers instructions are far greater that that, especially on the ceiling.

It seems that that would want greater clearances on a stove they know nothing about.

Question about clearances that I can't see to find answered elsewhere...

Why would the NFPA #211 recommend that free standing wood stoves with no label or manufacturer instructions have a minimum 36 inch clearance on all sides but most manufacturers instructions are far greater that that, especially on the ceiling.

It seems that that would want greater clearances on a stove they know nothing about.

Are you referring to a specific stove? Because most stoves I know have side clearances from 6" to 12" which is less than for an unlisted stove. In contrast, ceiling clearance is rather similar: NFPA states 48" from stovetop to ceiling for an unlisted stove. Most manufacturers want a ceiling height of ~80" which for a 30" stovetop translates to 50" clearance, so about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.