Cleared some land to let more sun in and ended up with 1.5 cord!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
I finally had some time to clear out some trees in Nov. Mostly red oak, white oak, red maple and 1 big pine. It took about 5 days with only one mishap and no injuries!

Here's the gear. I also have an older Husky 36 to use on pine so i don't get the new 445 all gummed up.

That stick is a great idea that someone out here showed us. It's a great way to get consistant cuts.

Attachments

• 1 - Husky 445.jpg
    1 - Husky 445.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 457
  • 2 - Task Force Splitter.jpg
    2 - Task Force Splitter.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 463
  • 3 - 16 inch marker.jpg
    3 - 16 inch marker.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 482
I had some issues with getting the fallen tree hung. Waited a few days and it finally went down. I knocked down one of my stacks, but at least the tree is down.

See the wishing well in the left picture. Look at the one on the right. Something's missing. I wanted to take a picture but I felt I would take too much abuse. My kids got a good chuckle out of it. Oh well, at least the base is still there and it will be a spring project to put the roof back on.

Attachments

• 4 - Clear land 1.jpg
    4 - Clear land 1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 5 - hung1.jpg
    5 - hung1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 6 - down1.jpg
    6 - down1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 474
Another hung tree. Took a break for lunch and when I returned, it was down. Had some strong wind this day which helped the process.

Attachments

• 7 - hung2.jpg
    7 - hung2.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 557
  • 8 - down2.jpg
    8 - down2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 456
  • 9 - cut2.jpg
    9 - cut2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 540
This White Oak was a heavy beast to say the least. It took a while to buck it all up, but well worth the effort. The fallen pine will be stacked separately. It made a mess of my work gloves!

Attachments

• 9a - buck2.jpg
    9a - buck2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 464
  • 10 - split2.jpg
    10 - split2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 533
  • 11 - down4.jpg
    11 - down4.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 469
The fallen Oak on the left was dropping serious acorns this year so down it goes. I was having such a good time with new saw I walked into the woods and found a dead standing oak about 100 feet into the woods. Took a wheel barrel and patients to get it out, but free wood = free heat IMO. Well, free is subject to property taxes so I guess it really isn't totally free wood.

Attachments

• 12- down3.jpg
    12- down3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 13 - dead standing.jpg
    13 - dead standing.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 460
Final stack before I ran out of time. This is a head start for 2011/2012. There's also a pine pile on the other side of this hard wood.

Pic before and after our first snow. If most of this melts, I have three or four more trees I'd like to get down before spring.

The pic with the red arrow pointing in a tree, it a branch that one of the trees got hung up on. It's wedged in there pretty good and hopely comes down this winter. I think they call these "Widow Makers".

The wood on the right side (4 cord) is my 2010/2011 supply.

Oh, see that Hot Tub in last pic, I was in there every night soaking my bones with a cold beer to ease the pain :)

Attachments

• 14 - stack1.jpg
    14 - stack1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 521
  • 15 - new stacks1.jpg
    15 - new stacks1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 16 - stack covered in snpw.jpg
    16 - stack covered in snpw.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 529
That is a good week's work. And you say all these trees are just a start on next winter's wood supply?

Excellent pictorial stejus...yes indeed the sun is our friend.

Wood Duck said:
That is a good week's work. And you say all these trees are just a start on next winter's wood supply?

If you look at the second to last pic in the previous post, the wood with the red arrows pointing down is what I just cut and split. The other wood to the right (4 cord) was stacked in May 2009 and will be used next season (2010/2011).

This newly cut wood is a start on my 2011/2012 supply. I figure I'll cut and split another 1/2 cord or so before I'm done. Then in the spring I'll order three more cord and get it stacked. This will age 1.5 to 2 years before burning.

I get so much sun back there the wood I just stacked in May is already showing signs of cracking.

The pic below is my current burn supply. This pic was taken in the summer. Now you can see why I wanted to clear land in another area to dry my wood.

Attachments

• 2009-2010 piles.jpg
    2009-2010 piles.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 322
Good pictures and work, stejus. That will help warm your body.

Those small trees that end up leaners like that are pretty easy to cut as is. I just start on the bottom and cut 4' sections. Then those can be cut twice and you have 3-16" log lengths for firewood. Cutting into 4' lengths like that gets the tree down usually after only a couple cuts. I cut about half way through from the top and then undercut to drop the log. Just be careful and look that thing over good to determine if the tree might kick sideways when you cut; that way you know which side to stand on.

Those nasty pine trees in the background are easier to weed out now while they are small .

billb3 said:
Those nasty pine trees in the background are easier to weed out now while they are small .

Yeah, i know. I like to keep them around for a little while. They add some color to the background during the boring winter months!

Nice property, firewood, stacks and pics.. Interesting post, thanx!

Ray

nasty saw ruining, house fire causing, pretty all year round pine. what are we to do?

PINEBURNER said:
nasty saw ruining, house fire causing, pretty all year round pine. what are we to do?

Hmmm, split it, stack it, age it, burn it. Prior to getting on this forum, Pine = burn in fire pit outside only. Now, throw a few sticks into stove here and there, Life Is Good!

Attachments

• pine pile.jpg
    pine pile.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.