Clicking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elciteeve

Dec 6, 2016
Albany OR
I've searched and found as much info as I can. So far the only things I've found to try were to make sure my stove is level. Which I've done as best I can. I checked for level side to side, front to back, and an X pattern each way and it's as level as I can make it, but it still clicks.

Anyone have any thoughts? I usually notice the clicks more during / after reloading, but they happen sporadically also. The ones I captured weren't very loud, however often times they sound like someone threw a rock at the stove as hard as they can.

Stove was cruising at about 500 when video was taken. I opened the door just to make the clicks happen more. Sounds like they come mainly from the chimney...

The clicks you are hearing are likely the expansion and contraction of your heating system due to temperature or pressure changes.

So, normal? Nothing to worry about? I've never heard a stove click before. I've also not been around very many EPA stoves.

Sounds like what CentralVAWoodHeat said. I'll give you some proof: I replaced my solid cast iron griddle top which contacts flame on the lower surface. It cracked due to excessive heat stress and WS provided a redesign with a thin stainless steel shield mounted on the bottom.

Well now the stove makes clicking noises just like yours.

So, normal? Nothing to worry about? I've never heard a stove click before. I've also not been around very many EPA stoves.
I certainly don't worry about mine clicking. When I get it cranking or when it is cooling down it makes a good amount of that sort of noise. Opening the door certainly increases it.

My Riteway used to click like crazy and that was not an EPA stove. The model 37 could burn coal too and you've never heard a stove click like that thing did when it was cruising on a load of coal with the air supply open.

Towards the end there it sounded like Matthew McConaughey taking us down to 200 meters in a u boat.

But yes, its mostly thermal expansion/contraction, common thing with steel stoves. When you open the door, a lot of heat rushes up the flue and replaced with an equal amount of cool room air, so the temperature builds back up after you close it, you're going to hear it more then.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
My wife says the ticking sound of the stove heating up is the "sound of heat."

Reactions: Squisher

I have the same stove and it makes similar noises to yours when heating up or cooling down. We have a big Drolet at the camp and it is no where near as noisy as the stove at home...probably something you're going to have to live with! I guess each stove design has its own complexes to deal with!

The clicks are normal. I can usually tell based on the sounds of the clicks how I need to adjust the air intake. The clicks are a helpful indicator. Usually once it gets up to cruising temperature the clicks stop.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Towards the end there it sounded like Matthew McConaughey taking us down to 200 meters in a u boat.

But yes, its mostly thermal expansion/contraction, common thing with steel stoves. When you open the door, a lot of heat rushes up the flue and replaced with an equal amount of cool room air, so the temperature builds back up after you close it, you're going to hear it more then.
Hahaha. U-571 reference that's funny. Don't think the OP will find the enigma in his stove however.

Both my VC stoves click and ping all the time. It's just part of the game. If I'm correct isn't it Lopi that has a floating firebox that claims it won't ping and pop and click?