Clogged Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Hearth Supporter
After paying a sweep $150 bucks for essentially 10 mins worth of work I decided to buy a brush kit and do it myself.

After burning a cord this year and noticing a reduced draft I figured I'd give it a cleaning out. I cleaned out the pipe, less than half a cup of cresote. However, when I inspected the cap, most if not all of the vent holes were clogged with black flakes/chunks. The cap was cleaned in the fall by the sweep (i had to ask him to check the cap). Also I had to clean out this gunk last Feb too, as I noticed my draft was greatly reduced. I asked the sweep why this happens and he said "because your at the base of the mountain (mtn means hill in NJ) and the wind swirls off the "mountain" and cools the cap". I don't really buy it.

My setup is a 16 foot pipe running to a Quadrafire 7100 on an outside wall, surprisingly it drafts very well (except when the cap clogs). I'm using the cap that the manufacturer mandates to use. The chase is insulated up 8 feet as per the manufacturer, the rest of the chase is not. I have a friend with the same stove, 40 feet of pipe and no problems.

What I don't understand is if I'm burning hot and my pipe is clean why is the cap clogging? Anything I can do to reduce the clogging or just embrace the fact I need to go up there every month and clean the crap out with a screw driver?

Go back a week or 2, same problem was discussed. Mine does the same thing, I opened up the holes by clipping every other divider out and now have no problems at all.. Seems the pipe condenses moisture being exposed to the cold air and forms the flakes your talking about.

T

I would remove the spark arrestor screen entirely.

As a matter of fact, I did.

it doesn't have a screen, just horizontal slats. openings are pretty small. i'll post a pic in a couple of days. its common for it to be completely black on the outside, right?

Eric Johnson said:
I would remove the spark arrestor screen entirely.

As a matter of fact, I did.
ERIC YOU BEAT ME TO IT.

My cap has a sort of dark brownish tinge to it, but I wouldnt say it is completley black.

Yes, mine is coal black from the goop that was formed inside it, my slots or holes were about an inch wide by about a quarter inch tall in four rows worth, I snipped the divider going at an angle all the way around and now the holes are about 3/4" x 1 inch and no more problems..

T

Status
Not open for further replies.