Closest to over-fire I want to come!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with the door cracked a quarter open it seemed more like it was feeding the fire rather than slowing it down. The flames just rolled faster. Didn't want to open it farther for fear of embers flying out.

I find that when the door is cracked just a wee bit like that it sucks the air in fast, loud and hard, but if you fully open the door it all settles right down and you don't get that mad rush of air raging into the firebox......

You can rent your cam to peeps here . I would love I see where I loose heat from my house , but $300 is kinda steep. Most likely will pay for itself in couple seasons ,though .

This is what happens when you hot-load a stove. Box full of embers means a hot stove, add dry wood with loots of BTU's and you have a hot-loaded stove that is at risk for over-firing.

To prevent this, don't load the stove when it is above 400, wait until it cools down. If you want it to cool faster, and can't wait-open the door. The open door will push the heat up the chimney and cool down the stove.

This is what happens when you hot-load a stove. Box full of embers means a hot stove, add dry wood with loots of BTU's and you have a hot-loaded stove that is at risk for over-firing.

To prevent this, don't load the stove when it is above 400, wait until it cools down. If you want it to cool faster, and can't wait-open the door. The open door will push the heat up the chimney and cool down the stove.

This will be even more timely later in the winter when people are pushing stoves hard in order to keep up and the coal bed starts getting unmanageable.
As an alternative to opening up the door, turn the primary to wide open. The coals will burn down and the stove will still give off some heat. A piece of low ash, dry softwood on top of the coals quickens the process too.

This will be even more timely later in the winter when people are pushing stoves hard in order to keep up and the coal bed starts getting unmanageable.
As an alternative to opening up the door, turn the primary to wide open. The coals will burn down and the stove will still give off some heat. A piece of low ash, dry softwood on top of the coals quickens the process too.

That's why I like to burn pine during the day when it gets really cold. It burns up fairly quickly in 4 to 5 hours with very little coals. Thus, I can reload when the stove (and house) are still warm. The long coaling stage with hardwoods means the house sometimes gets uncomfortably cold before the stove has enough room for a decent reload. Of course, hardwoods are still the way to go for overnight burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.