Closing secondary air intake on a regency stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbow

Jan 20, 2015
nova scotia
hi,

I have a Regency 1200 alterra woodstove and am very happy with it when it is burning...but... When it is not in use, and the wind is blowing.... The wind noise whistling through it is quite a problem. It also blows out from a narrow slot in the very back of the stove, behind the ash plug. I assume that this is the secondary air intake, and there seems to be no way of shutting this down. It would be great to be able to close this off to keep down the drafts and the wind noise, but is there any way of doing it???

Thanks for any advice. I have got a pair of socks stuffed into it at the moment!

I'm wondering if a key damper in the flue pipe might be an inexpensive solution. Close it off when the stove is not in use.

I'm wondering if a key damper in the flue pipe might be an inexpensive solution. Close it off when the stove is not in use.
There used to be a damper in the pipe before we bought the house, but our home inspector told us to hat it should be taken out! Not sure why, but we did have it take out...

Some stove models do seem to have a lever to close off the secondary air.... But not ours as far as I can see...

There is only one stove I currently know of that has a linked, secondary air control. That's the PE Super 27 series. Even that does not close off the secondary completely. Not sure what the home inspector's thinking was there.

Hmm. I don't have this issue.

I have a Harman and while I don't consider it too annoying, when the wind really blows, I can hear it whistle. I also live on a hill in the 3rd windiest place in my state and where a wind farm is being constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.