Clumpy ash and loud auger, Related?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I have a new Harman accentra insert. I have been burning Lignetics pellets in it for a little over a month. I have been scraping out the burn pot and cleaning it every 3-4 days. I've noticed that the auger has a low rumble sound to it on lower speeds and that the ashes seem to be clumpier than before. Is this normal? is it the pellets? or is something wrong with my settings/stove? Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to burning pellets.

My Harman P68 does the same thing with the rumble sound, but with Turmans no clumpy ash. The sound is annoying, I think it's the feed motor. Everything is working great, so I haven't called the dealer. Would love for them to it change out and put a new feed motor in to see if the noise goes away. I can live with it, but would love my stove even more if it didn't make that sound.

sometimes, the motor's shaft will get loose and wiggle in and out as it turns... you can remove the auger motor and grab onto the shaft to test it... if it is loose like this, it will wiggle in and out (this sounds alot like a naughty reference, sorry, but its true) without much effort by pulling and pushing in by hand... if it does this, the gear kinda rubs erratically and makes a vibration, and noise. sometimes it works a little grease loose from the packings... If it is w/ in the 3yr (or 2, depending on when you got it in relation to the wtty change) warranty you may wanna have it replaced while still covered. I have seen some break up the gear teeth... You gotta remember, most normal drop feed pellet stoves feed at 1 rpm/minute... Harmans are a 4 rpm motor (although the P68 and the furnace/boiler all now use a 6rpm motor), its alot more torque and turns.

summit said:
You gotta remember, most normal drop feed pellet stoves feed at 1 rpm/minute... Harmans are a 4 rpm motor (although the P68 and the furnace/boiler all now use a 6rpm motor), its alot more torque and turns.
Forgive my ignorance (and I really am ignorant about these things) does that statement mean I should expect the noise? I'm pretty sure I do have the 6 rpm motor in my P68, so is this possibly just the way things are with that motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.