Clydesdale stones won't fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Narsil487

Oct 13, 2023
Maryland
I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale 8492, which I'm installing. And I'm at the point where I'm installing the soap stone bricks into the firebox and ran into an issue. There are 2 bolts protruding from the rear of the box (one on either side), that prevent me from being able to slip the outer rear wall stones ( D, 1-0000-103 ) into and behind the side wall stones. The bolts are causing the bricks to stick out too far, and are not able to fit behind the sides, which then doesn't leave enough space for the center rear wall stones. Are these supposed to be there? Do I need to figure out how to back them out some more? Or cut them off?

Please see the pictures.

PXL_20231106_015223197.jpg_compressed.JPEGPXL_20231106_014600363.jpg_compressed.JPEGPXL_20231106_014612157.jpg_compressed.JPEGPXL_20231106_014636952.jpg_compressed.JPEGPXL_20231106_014550946.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Okay, I finally heard back from the manufacturer. Turns out there's a Tech Bulletin about the wrong bolts being used. Pasting below for anyone that comes across this thread with the same problem. I ended up just grinding the ends off, since my unit was already installed.

8492 Clydesdale Hardware Correction

A small production run of 8492 Clydesdales were manufactured with incorrect hardware. The location of this hardware does not allow the rear soapstone panels to be installed correctly. There are 2 bolts that need to be changed to correct this. We recommend doing this at the time of the unit install.

Model Numbers Affected: 8492-0010, 8492-0020

Serial Numbers Affected: 18000 - 18173

An alternate method is to cut/grind the end of the bolt from the inside of the firebox. Use a grinder or cutoff wheel to remove the exposed threads. This can be done during install, and the outer shroud does not need to be removed. Either method is acceptable.

Thanks for posting the solution. It sounds like dealers need to keep up with the tech bulletins.

Okay, I finally heard back from the manufacturer. Turns out there's a Tech Bulletin about the wrong bolts being used. Pasting below for anyone that comes across this thread with the same problem. I ended up just grinding the ends off, since my unit was already installed.
Glad to hear it was a relatively easy fix for you. How has the stove been for you? Some have had complaints. I feel fortunate to have had few issues and we love it. I installed mine fall of 2022.

There’s also a service bulletin on the bypass damper retainers. To do the fix the insert has to be pulled from the fireplace. Absolutely ridiculous! We didn’t get any info on it, hearthstone published it on YouTube. I found it after we had one fail in the field after 2 fires.