Clydesdale update. Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Clydesdale update been burning lot more lately with the cold weather settling in around PA...

Clydesdale seems to burn good mix of cherry, oak, maple ive been burning lately.

Heres my question. I'll load the firebox up before bed. Get it rolling pretty good then push pull full close on the damper she's pumping out the heat, but it's getting kinda warm 600degrees. Manual states not to burn that hot.

If I do smaller loads can't get a long burn going.

Pic is current status at 1am. My IR thermometer is measuring 590 by the draft bolt. It seems good. Secondaries rolling off nice. Seems to be burning hot even and efficient. But that cast is getting up to where hearth stone is considering their max....
Clydesdale update.  Question...

Little paranoid going to sleep or leaving house when this things got a little bit of a mind of its own.

Clydesdale update been burning lot more lately with the cold weather settling in around PA...

Clydesdale seems to burn good mix of cherry, oak, maple ive been burning lately.

Heres my question. I'll load the firebox up before bed. Get it rolling pretty good then push pull full close on the damper she's pumping out the heat, but it's getting kinda warm 600degrees. Manual states not to burn that hot.

If I do smaller loads can't get a long burn going.

Pic is current status at 1am. My IR thermometer is measuring 590 by the draft bolt. It seems good. Secondaries rolling off nice. Seems to be burning hot even and efficient. But that cast is getting up to where hearth stone is considering their max....View attachment 219265 ...

Little paranoid going to sleep or leaving house when this things got a little bit of a mind of its own.
Maybe start shutting it down before it gets that hot? I know it's hard to control but I can't think of another wss tip keep it from going that high. I think its okay to run at that heat for a little while. Once you shut it down it should cruise for a long time at least that's how mine work. Just went to Bed and loaded them both then shut the down almost all the way. Flames looked similar to yours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

600 deg too hot? Is there an area they are specifying because a 600 stove top is a good cruising temp.

Edit; So after checking the manual I see that they specify front vent/grill. Without seeing the stove in person its hard to say if that's a cool spot but a 600 deg stove body/top is well within the range of most stoves.

Last edited: