CO / Smoke Detector Reminder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
Was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning. One of the guys in "The morning show" was telling about almost loosing his wife and kid over the weekend to CO. He said they had been feeling nauseous, tired and sick over the past couple days. (cool weather is sweeping through and many furnaces are just waking up from a long summer slumber) Kid went in to lay down because he was sleepy. Wife was headed in to lay down, too but thought she would replace the dead batteries in the CO alarm first. She put in some new batteries and it pegged out high CO alarm so they called the fire department. Spent the night in the hospital on oxygen, but should be OK. They think something happened to the gas furnace and it wasn't venting properly. Very close call.

Just a reminder with everyone firing up furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, etc. CHECK YOUR CO / SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!! If you don't have CO AND SMOKE detectors, 30-40 bucks is a pretty small price to pay to save a life.

[/public service announcement]

I have to color myself guilty on this one...smoke detector has been out of commission for a month or so on account of dead batteries - so tonight is the night! No more delay!

Johnny Dare, huh? ;)

Yeah, that was a good reminder. I've actually been wanting to put in a CO detector, but wanted to wire it into my home's linked powered system. I really like how if one goes off, they all start screaming. Anyways, I just gotta make sure I find one compatable with my current system and I'm good to go.

We've never had a CO detector except in the motor home. But one thing we do not do is leave the fire alarms with dead batteries.

A good reminder . . . both smoke detectors and CO detectors are important in my opinion . . . but just as important is to have an escape plan with two ways out and a meeting place. And don't forget . . . smoke detectors need to be replaced every 10 years. CO detectors (on the average) should be replaced every 4-5 years (some manufacturers recommend shorter replacement times (3 years) and some recommend longer replacement times (up to 7 years.)

Corners said:
Johnny Dare, huh? ;)

Yeah, that was a good reminder. I've actually been wanting to put in a CO detector, but wanted to wire it into my home's linked powered system. I really like how if one goes off, they all start screaming. Anyways, I just gotta make sure I find one compatable with my current system and I'm good to go.

Another 98.9 fan? Well, don't even think of calling in - I've got the keys to the Harley and Camaro all wrapped up!

Status
Not open for further replies.