coal and wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rack tracker

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2007
philly-suberbs
Hey folks, New to the site. I currently have a great osburn 2400 wood burning stove for the past 11 years. Awesome stove!Burning as I speak. What I'm looking for is a stove that will burn wood and coal, to install in my basement and connect to my second floor air return. I remember when I was a kid my parents had a "old mill" stove that had a shaker great stove as well! The only stove I can find on-line is a vermont castings coal only stove. I would still like the option of sticking in a overnighter round piece of oak.

We have some coal burners on here - figured someone would have chimed in. But when someone mentions coal, the first name that comes to mind is Harman stoves.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/

They do have a coal / wood stove, the TLC 2000

http://www.harmanstoves.com/callouts.asp?id=7

Although if all you are interested in is a good overnight burn, you might look into a coal stoker stove, then you could just load up the hopper and let it go. Harman also has some of those.

The biggest issue you might run into is hooking it into any kind of ducting to get to the second floor, as that would probably represent some type of fire hazard. But others may have advice on that as well.

Not sure if Cozy is up on coal stoves here, but something like the Magnum stoker from Harman has a kit that allows you to hook it into your hot air furnace. or other duct work.

a guy named Lime4x4 has a set up like this and you can find him on the nepa coal forums

I haven't seen a beast that allows that and burns wood other than a furnace. Again, Harman has these.

Status
Not open for further replies.