Coal burning advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hhpguy

Jan 15, 2015
I have been burned wood in a Surefire wood furnace for years...when I moved from that house to my new home it has a oil fired boiler...after last winter (2013-14) I wanted to give myself an alternative heating method, so I bought a used Attack FD42...it burns wood right down to fine ash every time... But, when it comes to burning coal, this is where I lack experience and can not get the same results as burning wood...my questions are...does coal burn from bottom to top or front to back?...how much coal should I feed it at feeding time?...how often should the boiler be cleaned out down to the shaker grates, if at all?...I would like my boiler to operate like I have been reading in some of the posts that claim theirs drive them out of the house.

Ok coal will burn from the bottom up i don't know your boiler at all so i cant say how much to load at once post a few pics of the interior and i might have an idea. You pretty much never clean down to the grates just shake the grates till you start to see live coals just beginning to fall the n stop and reload

Go to nepacrossroads.com the forum is like hearth for coal. You should get all your answers and more.

Reactions: shawntitan
Coal does burn bottom up.
Coal stoves/furnaces/boilers all react differently. If you don't get an answer at nepa , just try different size loads in different locations on grate. Also try mixing with wood. It takes time to figure out coal but when you do you'll love it.
My furnace runs best with the load in the front and to either side.

I've only burnt coal in a stoker so i don't know much about hand Fed units but one thing you should keep in mind is that coal is very acidic. Check with your chimney manufacturer to see if it's rated for coal. Most are but it'll greatly shorten its life. Also as soon as the heating season is over clean it out and coat it with something to neutralise the acid.

I read that you can load the coal up to 8" on that boiler. Layer it on little by little and make sure you always have a little flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.