coal burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really... you need shaker grates and something else that's escapes me. Opening a fired up coal stove requires a combination of a few necessary actions or KABOOOOOOM! and that thing I forgot about deals with the accumulation of coal gas. Go to Nepa crossroads.com to get the skinny.

http://nepacrossroads.com/
^ those guy forgot more about coal than I would know if I lived 10 lifetimes.

Nope

Now, you'll be likely gettin some folk sayin in small quantities yes, but I'm tellin ya, unless your stove is built to handle coal, the answer is no.

Coal burns different than wood, and coal stoves are built different than wood stoves.

Now, I've burned wood in a coal stove but NOT coal in a wood stove :)

Right, coal burns from the bottom up, so for one difference air has to be injected from below the fire. Wood buns from the top down, and will do fine in my coal stove as I also have a air inlet above the fire.
My experience is anthracite - hard coal. I suppose soft coal is a little closer to wood and may be possible to burn some, but I support the other posts as I don't know anything about burning soft coal.

I have an 80's large buck stove. I understand with a basket it was also designed to burn coal. Not anthracite.

Status
Not open for further replies.