Coal in open Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I tried antricite coal in our large open fireplace with disappointing results. I decided to try this cause I got a free coal basket at the dump treasure chest. Its about 18" x 12" , 8" deep, cast iron and has a swivel bottom plate.

Coal was a pain to get lit and would not stay lit for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. I used that alcohol gel but it was still very hard to keep going. Is this the wrong size, type coal? Is this even possible?

Coal needs a constant stream of under-fire air to burn. My parent's house had a heavy cast "Coal basket" that had a moveable grate at the bottom, solid sides about a foot high, then grate like side for another 6 inches. They would start a small wood or charcoal fire in the basket. Once it was hot they put some nut anthracite on top of the burning coals. The air would enter the bottom and keep the fire going. Had to be careful not to put too much anthracite since there was no way to control the air supply. Once it took off it got HOT.

KaptJaq

Coal needs a constant stream of under-fire air to burn. My parent's house had a heavy cast "Coal basket" that had a moveable grate at the bottom, solid sides about a foot high, then grate like side for another 6 inches. They would start a small wood or charcoal fire in the basket. Once it was hot they put some nut anthracite on top of the burning coals. The air would enter the bottom and keep the fire going. Had to be careful not to put too much anthracite since there was no way to control the air supply. Once it took off it got HOT.

KaptJaq

This basket I have has a grate bottom and sides. Funny thing is, there was never any ashes genereated. The coals were about the size of 3/4 gravel, too big?

This basket I have has a grate bottom and sides. Funny thing is, there was never any ashes genereated. The coals were about the size of 3/4 gravel, too big?

"Nut" size coal seems to burn best in these baskets. Nut is about 1.5" across. If there was little or no ash then the coal probably never lit. Coal takes a while to start burning. You can use a torch and get coal to glow but it is not actually burning, take the torch away too soon and it just cools off. Easiest way to start a coal fire is with a charcoal fire. Get a small bag of match-lite charcoal, use about 10 to 15 briquettes in a pile and light them. Once it is glowing red add the anthracite on top and it should take off.

KaptJaq

Yes those alcohol gels didn't work because alcohol burns cooler than the ignition temp of anthracite, which is close to 1200F.

The charcoal fire is a good idea. When I was a kid, to lift our basement coal stove my dad would build a small wood fire with splits for the wood stove cut in half on the table saw to fit. Let that burn down to a glowing charcoal bed then add coal.

Note that even if you get this working that fireplace might not throw as much heat as you expect. True coal burning fireplaces as where common in Victorian days where tall and shallow with a tall coal basket to help radiate the heat into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.