Coal/Oil Combo Boiler or two stand alones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozz

Hearth Supporter
Jun 18, 2008
Northern Maine
Hi all,
I'm new to coal and have been doing a lot of online research to try and decide on a heating system for my new camp. The camp will be empty for most of the winter however I would still like to keep it heated at a lower temperature (say 50*F) throughout that time. I travel a lot for work and stoking the stove 2-3 times a week will not usually be a problem. I would try to heat mostly with the coal, but by not living there at this time it wouldn't be possible to heat with coal exclusively. My best estimate would be that it would be a 75:25 to 80:20 ratio of coal operation to oil. I called today and prepay for oil was $5 a gallon and propane was $4 a gallon while coal is $290 a ton. So finally my question. Since I will be relying on my oil more than most people using the combo unit, will the combo unit be worthwhile or should I just go with two seperate boilers, one oil, and one coal? I have heard people say that the efficiency of the oil burners in the combos are not that good since the firebox is so large. Also this is a completely new install and I do need oil there one way or another (or gas) since I will not be able to tend to the stove at all times. Therefore the cost of a tank and associated piping and such will be encountered either way and for the most part the only cost difference will be the oil boiler. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Rozz.

Coal may be different in this respect than wood. But having owned both a wood/oil combo and separate units, I'd go with two separate units, each optimized for the fuel it is designed to burn. Efficiency is one issue (again, I don't know enough about coal to comment), but another biggie is that if your combo fails for some reason (i.e., springs a leak), then you don't have a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.