Coal shovel for red-hot cleanouts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
So it's been cold, and I'm running low on softwoods to burn. This means more hardwoods, which means red-hot cleanouts where I'm moving a heap of red hot coal to one side to get to the ash, then again on the other side.

I kept bending $3 folded metal ash shovels, so I bought a $30 "ASH DRAGON" one. It came with a lovely note saying that it had been designed for hot cleanouts. Unfortunately, the handle is very thin bar stock and it folded like spaghetti on the first use. I'd like to just weld a piece of rebar onto the shovel, but I don't have a welder. :(

What do you guys use for shoveling a hot stove? Where'd you get it?

I bought an antique coal shovel--made of much sterner stuff than anything I have seen in the hardware store. It's funny, other people go into antique place to get stuff to put on display. I'm always looking for something to use.

What are the measurements? The price is very reasonable for sure...

9b1566be57fcfb6ab71cfd333d510c54.jpg
247372cf9f9e7ac2b7bca3a06f60d2de.jpg
01d4ac87e2853d55afead2252cecdd8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you....thats just the right size for me!

Thank you....thats just the right size for me!

Great! I would like to add that I have never done business with the web site i posted a link to for reference. They may be great but I can’t speak on that from experience. Call hardy and you can get the shovel directly from them usually next day. Good people to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3ADFAAAE-8540-4974-B4FA-3CCF09BAF61E.jpeg
3454F028-EDF8-438E-9672-ABAA7342869D.jpeg
877EB879-3E9C-422A-9C00-D823AAF61D30.jpeg
E1F9DACA-355F-41C4-B5C9-23CBAA61D76B.jpeg
D189B8F9-4B9E-4505-BF57-7A13839CF6EC.jpeg

I am fortunate to have access to all things steel fabrication. I made all my tools and stand in the forge shop. The coal shovel works pretty sweet but I find it a novelty and rarely use it.

$100.00 plus shipping to anyone who wants it. Custom, one off. No other on the planet.

Reactions: Jags
Is the handle welded or forged to the shovel?

Any antique shop/mall will likely have one or more National brand coal shovels probably for less that $35. They are very heavy in construction of either steel or cast iron. Kevin

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Any antique shop/mall will likely have one or more National brand coal shovels probably for less that $35. They are very heavy in construction of either steel or cast iron. Kevin
Yeah, I like those shops and malls.

The handles are welded. I forge weld my Damascus knifes but these tools don't deserve that level of craftsmanship. At least not for me to make them serve the purpose I need.

I forge the handle and build the shovel connecting the two with a couple zaps from the mig