Coals on the front - WHY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carlo@ITALIA

Dec 2, 2017
Italy
Hello !
I have seen more than one video/suggestion about the opportunity to move coals in the front of the stove when reloading.

What is the reason for this and does it work for bot vat and non cat?

thanks
carlo

^ What he said. Plus the incoming air helps burn down the coals better so you don't end up with too many coals.

Me . . . generally I spread the coals out a bit vs. raking the coals towards the front.

Reactions: Poindexter
^ What he said. Plus the incoming air helps burn down the coals better so you don't end up with too many coals.

Me . . . generally I spread the coals out a bit vs. raking the coals towards the front.
Same. An even spread with a bias toward the front. I don't want a slope in the front to steal 2 or three inches of space for the new load.

I pull the coals to the front then spread them width wise then put a stick of kindling front to back then put in 4 splits or so . The kindling allows air to get under the wood and catch fire quickly.