Code compliance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Discussion tangent moved from original thread
What about installing a tee in the chimney in the attic for access?
You know that is not code compliant right?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that is not code compliant right?
HOnestly,no
I dont see it being a problem if its capped though,do you?
Im not a 100% by the book guy, if i know it wont be an issue even though its not to code ill tell my customer that. For instance a b-vent pipe up against wood where it goes through roof 30feet from gasfurnace, whats going to happen??

For instance a b-vent pipe up against wood where it goes through roof 30feet from gasfurnace, whats going to happen??
Lower the ignition point of the wood through pyrolysis.

Reactions: bholler
Im not a 100% by the book guy
And you are a pro? How can you say that? Yes there are times that some things simply cannot be brought completely to code but we should always do everything we can to get it as close as possible. But putting a cleanout above the crock or not honoring the required clearance to combustibles for a manufactured chimney product is just irresponsible. Are you certified by any professional organization? Does your liability insurance company know you "are not a by the book guy"?

Lower the ignition point of the wood through pyrolysis.
really? comeon. i've seen this hundreds of times in cases where its been there 50 plus years. b vent to gas furnace does not get hot enough to lower ignition points

I should offer caps it seems like a good majority of masonry chimneys are just a clay tile protruding from the crown a few inches.
Yes it is a pretty easy way to make a little extra money and they are good for the chimneys also.

Reactions: Squisher
really? comeon. i've seen this hundreds of times in cases where its been there 50 plus years. b vent to gas furnace does not get hot enough to lower ignition points
And have you done the testing to confirm that? How can a "pro" like yourself possibly say things like that?

And have you done the testing to confirm that? How can a "pro" like yourself possibly say things like that?
yes i am certified. i've just seen it thousands of times and feeling how hot it gets i cannot personally see it causing a problem

So your professional code of conduct means absolutely nothing to you? Have you even read it?
I have. I explain when situations are not to code but if i was you i would not be concerned. can you honestly tell me that that b-vent pipe 30 feet up from the appliance is going to lower the ignition point of roof sheathing. I do not believe it will

I've felt it.sorry
After how long of the furnace running? What if the flue got blocked somehow what would the temp be then? What temp was it at when you felt it? I am sorry for getting upset but I can take allot from homeowners but you are a pro who charges people to go into their house and make sure their setup is safe and you say crap like this. Really?

I have. I explain when situations are not to code but if i was you i would not be concerned. can you honestly tell me that that b-vent pipe 30 feet up from the appliance is going to lower the ignition point of roof sheathing. I do not believe it will
You may not believe it will but you have not done the testing to confirm if it will or not. That is why we have codes to follow so guys like us dont have to do the testing. And so we don't have to make those judgment calls in the field. Yes there are times that we simply tell the customer it is not to code and it is up to them to make a decision from there. But that is not what you said you said you are not a 100% by the book kind of guy. And that is a clear contradiction of the code of professional conduct we are all supposed to follow.

And yes without a doubt if that b vent is in contact with the roof sheathing it is going to lower the kindling point of the wood. Will it ever get hot enough to reach that lowered kindling point I dont know but you know damn well we need to allow for the absolute worst case scenario. These are peoples lives we are dealing with.

After how long of the furnace running? What if the flue got blocked somehow what would the temp be then? What temp was it at when you felt it? I am sorry for getting upset but I can take allot from homeowners but you are a pro who charges people to go into their house and make sure their setup is safe and you say crap like this. Really?
You are right. I am wrong, I was taught by an old school type old man who had done sweeping his entire life but didnt believe in codes and some of that sticks with me. I am sorry, you make valid points

I always tell customers when something does not meet current code

You are right. I am wrong, I was taught by an old school type old man who had done sweeping his entire life but didnt believe in codes and some of that sticks with me. I am sorry, you make valid points
But yet you are certified and represent your self the same as those of us who take that code of conduct very seriously. You also do realize that because you represented your self as a sweep and are giving advice here that code of conduct applies here as well right?

Last edited:
I disagree. B-Vent pipe can reach 300F. That is hot enough for slow charring. If there are splinters at the opening, they will ignite first. For example I've seen many hot water heating pipes going through wood and it wasn't until I read cases of pyrolysis from them that I realized the risks. Here is an example worth reading.
https://www.doctorfire.com/low_temp_wood1.pdf

Most people don't even know that wood can catch fire at 170°F (less than half of the temperature usually quoted), but the phenomenon of 200°F steam pipes causing house fires is pretty well documented, and still happening today when steam heat is uncommon.

https://www.doctorfire.com/low_temp_wood1.pdf

This phenomenon is why UL only allows a 100°F rise between room temperature and heated wood before it calls it a fire hazard.

Edit: begreen is a faster typer! ;)

OK, this is a major tangent from the OP's situation. Let's get back on track. Waiting for word from Gina about what today's inspection found.
yeah just a little off track lol

I take it then you dont get proper permits and inspections? Sorry, but any pro who tells me they think codes area joke doesn't get hired in this household.

Remember that as a professional, if the 1 in a 1000 case happens and the house catches fire you can be held liable and sued. Are you willing to risk your livelihood and potentially your customers life on it?

Reactions: bholler
Sorry i responded in the middle of Pg2 and didn't see BeGreens request to get back on topic....

Points made, closing thread. Better to be extra safe when dealing with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.