1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

code requirements for used tarm boiler

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mikeyny, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    I am currently selling my big old house to downsize to another much smaller old house. I will be taking my old but good tarm 502 multifuel boiler (1982 model) with me. I may have to get ny state permits to install it this time. Does anyone know anything about installing used equipment and state codes. A response from a tarm dealer only gave the standards it was built for if it were installed new in the state of Maine in 82. Since it is not an outdoor boiler I think I will be able to re-use it. This is definitly the most clean burning wood burner I have ever used. I Don't have a problem installing it myself using all nys codes but I don't know if the actual boiler is acceptable to the new ny standards. Any info would be very helpfull.
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    People install Tarms in New York all the time. There's no difference that I can think of that would make a used boiler any less compliant than a new one. The codes you should be concerned about are probably more local than state-wide, though I don't really know that either. I don't read about many New Yorkers going to jail for installations that aren't up to code.

Obviously, things like Class A chimney connections, electrical up to code, pressure relief valves, low water cut-off switch (maybe) and smoke/CO detectors and fire extinguishers are all basic requirements of any safe instalation. I would act accordingly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.