cold air coming in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbwil3

Mar 14, 2007
Hi,
We've been enjoying our Declaration insert for a few years now, but over last winter the surround on the insert shifted somehow and cold air is now leaking into the room, both on one side of the insert, and at the bottom. I'd prefer not to have the original installer back to correct this ( another story) , but feel we can do it ourselves if given some advice. Any answers here ?
And thank you,
Salbwil3

Remove the surround if you can and look up at your damper area. See if there is anything stuffed in there to block it off. Insert surrounds really aren't functional in the real world and usually some sort of damper block off is necessary IMO.

Buy some alunimum duct tape (has high adhesion and can handle high temps). Remove your surround, and use the tape to completely seal off the area around the stove, just make sure you keep the tape "inside" the area that will be covered by the surround so it wont stick out. Voila. I did this with my stove, also a declaration, and there is zero cold draft coming in the sides, it has also seems to help my draft and heat-up times on startup.

cmonSTART said:
Remove the surround if you can and look up at your damper area. See if there is anything stuffed in there to block it off. Insert surrounds really aren't functional in the real world and usually some sort of damper block off is necessary IMO.

+1 A damper sealing block off plate, or at least a generous stuffing of Roxul in the damper bell area will help keep the area around the insert warmer. You will get more heat out of the insert and dramatically reduce cold drafting around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.