Cold air draft in the clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tathspts

Jan 4, 2020
Montreal
There is an ash dump in my fireplace and clean out door is the basement, right by the basement fireplace.

There is a really strong cold air draft coming in that clean out. When I open the door and stick my hand in there I can literally feel the air blowing in.

Installer who installed the fireplace upstairs have stuffed in roxul insulation in the ash dump and set the fireplace on the top of it. But the cold air draft in the clean out door is still there and I cannot figure out where that cold air is coming from?

I am not able to figure out where the cold air draft is coming from in the clean out.

Installer who installed the fireplace upstairs have stuffed in roxul insulation in the ash dump and set the fireplace on the top of it.
Do you mean installed an insert in the fireplace?

Just guessing here. Maybe the cleanout doesn't have a sealed shaft going to it. It might be open to the gap between the flues? Take a picture with a cellphone looking up from the cleanout door.

There is probably an air intake going into that ash pit somewhere to supply makeup air to the fireplace. Check outside for a vent or hole

When I had a blower door test done this past fall I was told to seal up the clean out doors in the basement.