Poor Draft, No Flue Bottom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlfaClean

Mar 6, 2024
Central Mass.
I installed a stainless liner in my clay chimney flue when I put in a new wood furnace. I have been getting terrible draft.

I have tried everything to improve it, but nothing has worked. Then it dawned on me that it is probably being caused by the fact that I ignorantly removed the cap at the bottom of the liner, and now it is pulling air from around and below the liner. I removed it so that I could brush the liner from the original clean-out at the bottom of the chimney, as I had before lining the chimney. I also thought that, by sealing the clean-out door well and surrounding the top of the chimney around the liner with a stainless top plate, any draft leaks would be eliminated. Apparently, that is not true.

I tried to jam a piece of aluminum sheeting through the thimble into the bottom of the stainless flue (the flue ends just under the thimble), but it was very hard to do and might fall out. To avoid dismantling the tee and pulling the liner out to put a permanent cap on the bottom, which may be impossible to do, I thought of filling the 3 or 4 feet of open flue from the bottom of the chimney to the bottom of the liner with sand. I assume that the sand would seal the bottom of the liner pretty well. Then I could just clean the chimney through the thimble.

Any thoughts?

I installed a stainless liner in my clay chimney flue when I put in a new wood furnace. I have been getting terrible draft.

I have tried everything to improve it, but nothing has worked. Then it dawned on me that it is probably being caused by the fact that I ignorantly removed the cap at the bottom of the liner, and now it is pulling air from around and below the liner. I removed it so that I could brush the liner from the original clean-out at the bottom of the chimney, as I had before lining the chimney. I also thought that, by sealing the clean-out door well and surrounding the top of the chimney around the liner with a stainless top plate, any draft leaks would be eliminated. Apparently, that is not true.

I tried to jam a piece of aluminum sheeting through the thimble into the bottom of the stainless flue (the flue ends just under the thimble), but it was very hard to do and might fall out. To avoid dismantling the tee and pulling the liner out to put a permanent cap on the bottom, which may be impossible to do, I thought of filling the 3 or 4 feet of open flue from the bottom of the chimney to the bottom of the liner with sand. I assume that the sand would seal the bottom of the liner pretty well. Then I could just clean the chimney through the thimble.

Any thoughts?
Just pull it and do it right. I typically extend it down to the cleanout