Cold Air In The Morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
Got up today at 5am. It was 11 degrees outside. Long story short, I had a small fire trying to warm it up,but it was smoking, and I gave up. Once it warmed up to about 25 I got it to draft. Anyone else have " The Cold Air Effect "? I know its a common problem, but what about unique ways to warm it up? I use a hair dryer if its really cold, it works sometimes.

Hair dryer or propane torch above the baffle followed with a top-down start.

Got up today at 5am. It was 11 degrees outside. Long story short, I had a small fire trying to warm it up,but it was smoking, and I gave up. Once it warmed up to about 25 I got it to draft. Anyone else have " The Cold Air Effect "? I know its a common problem, but what about unique ways to warm it up? I use a hair dryer if its really cold, it works sometimes.
My chimney is very rarely cold. But the few times I need to prewarm I use the torch I have by the stove already. Just lock it on and let it burn for a min or so.

A piece or two of newspaper lit and held up near the flue has always worked for me to get the draft going.

A piece or two of newspaper lit and held up near the flue has always worked for me to get the draft going.
Ive had this backfire on me. Reverse draft plus that newspaper smell and blowing newspaper embers landing on your favorite shirt.
My torch is nearby, super easy to start fires with and heat the flue.
I was a big fan of log cabin kindling with some fines/wads of paper towels in the center then using ONE match to get my wood appliances lite. But now I just torch the top and bottom of a log cabin kindling setup and never have issues unless it's REALLY windy then I have to hold the torch up the flue for a bit.

I have found that at temps. around 20, newspaper will work. But when its cold cold, It just doesnt work for me all the time. Thanks for the replies.

top-down start.
I have been making fires for years and never really used this approach. I sort of prided myself on starting fires without paper, but I tried it this morning even though it wasn't super cold near me, but what a difference. Much easier. Once the draft was good I just cracked the door a little and it kept on roaring. I will likely use this approach going forward even when I don't have the cold air backdraft. thanks.

Every home's flue has its unique variables that will affect startup. And these conditions will vary depending on outside temperature, chimney and stove location, etc. It's good to have different options for different these different conditions.

Reactions: t0asty
I use 2 pieces rolled up to heat the flue, then I make a "taco' out of another sheet, put small kindling in it, light it with a lighter, nd set it on the left over newspaper thats on fire. It works ALMOST everytime, but it was cold that day, and Im sure itll get colder, lol

Reactions: t0asty