Cold Air Intake for Englander NC30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itzjerm

Mar 2, 2010
North Alabama
I was wandering if anyone has hooked up the round air intake for the central air to outside the house. Would this create any benefit?

My second Idea is to hook this air intake to pull air from the upstairs, the thought is to create a negative pressure up stairs and pull air from the basement upstairs getting the warm basement air (where the stove is) upstairs.

Thanks

Jeremy

itzjerm said:
I was wandering if anyone has hooked up the round air intake for the central air to outside the house. Would this create any benefit?

My second Idea is to hook this air intake to pull air from the upstairs, the thought is to create a negative pressure up stairs and pull air from the basement upstairs getting the warm basement air (where the stove is) upstairs.

Thanks

Jeremy

idea #2 is a non-starter, isnt going to do what you envision, "outside air" is outside air, meant to allow for flue to be able to pull the stove ni tight houses, using it to move air is sking the chimney to pull air all the way down to the basement then through the stove and then up the flue , most any chimney aint gonna have that kinda horsepower. so you would be reducing the efficiency of the stove by not allowing the flue to give it what it craves , smooth airflow

Connecting your stove inlet to outside air is called an "outside air kit" or OAK, and you can find many discussions here about the pros and cons, if you check the archives.

Regarding bringing cold air down from the upstairs, as long as the two floors have some open space between them, like a stairwell, the colder air from the upstairs will naturally come down toward the stove to replace what is going up the flue. So there's no need to run any pipe. Also, it would greatly slow down your stove, as previously said.

Status
Not open for further replies.