Cold water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kplensdorf

Jan 30, 2017
Carleton, Mi
We recently bought our house with a wood burner/boiler system we are very new to this as we are originally from Florida (no heat needed). The previous owner has been a big help but we don't like to keep bothering him.

Our water is not getting above 80 degrees and we can't figure out why. Can anyone please help guide us? It's 19 degrees outside and would love a hot shower! Thank you

BIO MASS Model 40 is the unit we have

Last edited:
Reactions: NateB
People will ask you about your system design. You can go down that road, which might be winding, and learn stuff about your system, OR, you could just pester the old owner some more. He might like talking about his old system.

Reactions: Kplensdorf
We are going to need a detailed set of sketches of the entire system. If you don't know what it is take a picture.

My swags with absolutely no details on your system are ;Somewhere in the system you have tempering valve that blends cold water with very hot water from the boiler. The inside of the valve has a thermostatic cartridge that is usually designed to fail in the cold position to keep someone from getting scalded. The valve also has fine orifices in it and could be plugged. Alternatively most wood heated hot water systems have a backup system during the summer when the wood boiler is not being used. It could be a problem with that system.

Be aware that most heating techs are pretty clueless on wood heating systems.

You have posted next to no information to go on - in light of that I would pester the former owner more.

Help from here will require lots of pics of everything, for starters.

Are you sure about that temp? And what water is 80? Is that the boiler temp (if so where) - or your DHW temp? Like I said, no info.

Along with pics, accurate temps everywhere should also help. An IR temp gun helps there - spray shiney survaces (like copper) with flat black spray paint first for more accurate measuring.

And I might as well be the one - are you sure your wood is dry?