Colder termperatures and staining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Is it the stain or the material or both that is affected by the cold temps? Last year, I sprayed 4000 board feet of pine ship lap in a closed up shop with the salamanders running to keep it at 50. Had to quick back brush every board. It adhered fine but was a PITA to apply and seemed like I went through a lot of stain to get it to cover. Yesterday, I sprayed about 2000 board feet of the same material in the same shop but with the windows open and maybe 5 degrees warmer. No back brush required and I used 1/3 less stain.

I'm assuming that the stain was pretty close to the same temperature both times as I kept it in the house until I was ready to spray. Is the difference the temperature of the material as I likely only got the air up to 50 degrees last year or maybe air changes had something to do with it?

Probably more to to with the board's them self. Moisture content that is. Moisture of air is another big factor.

The batch last year was probably barely above freezing. It was tight stacked about 4' high. So, essentially I guess I was trying to spray on partial ice. Gotta say, in addition to how it layed down, it was a lot nicer spraying with the windows open and natural light than with two salamanders going and work lamps. I could barely see far enough to spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.