1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Colder termperatures and staining

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by SolarAndWood, Oct 24, 2011.

1. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Is it the stain or the material or both that is affected by the cold temps? Last year, I sprayed 4000 board feet of pine ship lap in a closed up shop with the salamanders running to keep it at 50. Had to quick back brush every board. It adhered fine but was a PITA to apply and seemed like I went through a lot of stain to get it to cover. Yesterday, I sprayed about 2000 board feet of the same material in the same shop but with the windows open and maybe 5 degrees warmer. No back brush required and I used 1/3 less stain.

I'm assuming that the stain was pretty close to the same temperature both times as I kept it in the house until I was ready to spray. Is the difference the temperature of the material as I likely only got the air up to 50 degrees last year or maybe air changes had something to do with it?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Probably more to to with the board's them self. Moisture content that is. Moisture of air is another big factor.
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    The batch last year was probably barely above freezing. It was tight stacked about 4' high. So, essentially I guess I was trying to spray on partial ice. Gotta say, in addition to how it layed down, it was a lot nicer spraying with the windows open and natural light than with two salamanders going and work lamps. I could barely see far enough to spray.